Click on a thumbnail
to view a larger image.
Reusable Grocery Bags
Because of the fee per plastic bag in my state many people have bought reusable grocery bags. We’'e used reusable bags for years now, mainly because they are:
- Environmentally friendly.
- Sturdier - no tore grocery bags.
- Hold more than plastic bags.
- Are easier to carry and the straps are more comfortable.
- Now save us five cents for every bag we don't use.
There are quite a few different types of reusable shopping bags available but we recommend you consider the following questions:
- Are the straps long enough? Many reusable bags have short straps which makes it difficult to put over your shoulders.
- How wide are the straps? If they are too narrow they can be uncomfortable when your are carrying heavier loads (but not as bad as plastic grocery bags).
- What material is the bag made of? Cloth bags are most comfortable to carry. Thicker plastic reusable bags are okay but can be hard on the hands.
- How big is the bag? Too big and they'll fill it to full at the supermarket. To small and it doesn't really serve its purpose.
Recently I bought a reusable cloth shopping bag from a Peace Corps Volunteer Project on Etsy that meets all the criteria above.